Shepherd

Painting by Sejuti Biswas
Sweeping across is the gentle breeze,
I walk along with a pack of sheep,
Following the narrow dusty road,
Wondering; what I gained, what I lost.

Never knew a mother's love,
Never slept on her lap,
Never cuddled when trapped in fear,
Never tasted her delicious platter,
Never the fingers boxed the ears,
Never the handkerchief brushed away the tears,
Never heard those words of encouragement,
When down with misery and discontentment.

Never ever going was easy,
Step mother's cane was always ready,
Spineless father's pin drop of silence,
Every day a bowl of gruel,
Bled, when begged,
Reckless with hunger,
For a loaf of bread.

Gruesome ten years,
Then a flight to nowhere,
Walked and walked,
Met the shepherd,
Grandpa he is,
Tears cascade,
A plate full of rice,
Gatte ki sabzi and fries,
Grandpa's fingers,
Playing with my hair,
A toothless smile is always there.

Next morning,
A bag full of books,
Taking his hand,
I step into school,
Never stopped,
Until I became,
A man of knowledge,
Fixing hearts,
Restoring health.

Shepherd I become,
When I deliberate,
Gained a lot,
Lost a lot,
God's gift,
My Grandpa,
My mentor, my life, 
Predicaments never last,
A chance is always what time brings.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BIHANGA [ the bird ]

TRiBUTE

SHIVA