Dare to dream

Photo credit: Sudip Bhattacharya

I jump up high,
Beyond the realm,
As if the sky is beneath,
Twinkling are the stars,
A carpet of infinite,
My dainty steps are afraid,
Quivering I, a step up,
My feet on his hands,
Leads me to a window,
My dreams unravel,
Flowers of gems,
An ice cream mountain,
Melted chocolate dripping down,
My happiness knew no bounds,
Another window, a palace,
Butlers and maids rushing towards me,
Each room is a splendour,
Velvet curtains, upholstered chairs,
A king size bed draped with a veil of lace,
A marble topped table,
Beyond that a small window;

A hamlet I recognize,
Huts with holes on roofs,
Stuffed with plastic,
A wail so familiar,
My brother's cry for milk,
My father's hunched frame,
Shaking with bouts of cough,
My mother's reddened eyes,
Blank and crestfallen,
Rag picker I am,
Conscience reminded,
The few I earn,
Relief; a hapless mother feels,
Tears trickle, I beg the star,
Let my dreams remain inside,
Let me be with my brother,
ailing father and rag picker mother,
May be some day I sing,
I am beyond the realm,
The horizon beneath,
Leading from the front,
The world follows because I dare to dream.






           

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BIHANGA [ the bird ]

TRiBUTE

SHIVA